This is a summary of the BAA Dan Grade Syllabus prior to October 2019.
|1st Dan||1 year consistent practice as 1st Kyu||Randori-no-kata||Minimum of 3 bouts of hikitategeiko.|
|2nd Dan||2 years consistent practice as 1st Dan||Koryu dai San||Minimum of 3 bouts of hikitategeiko.|
|3rd Dan||3 years consistent practice as 2nd Dan||Koryu dai San||Minimum of 3 bouts of hikitategeiko.|
|4th Dan||4 years consistent practice as 3rd Dan||Koryu dai Ni||Minimum of 3 bouts of hikitategeiko.|
|5th Dan||5 years consistent practice as 4th Dan||Koryu dai Go||Minimum of 3 bouts of hikitategeiko.|
|6th Dan||6 years consistent practice as 5th Dan||Koryu dai Roku||Minimum of 3 bouts of hikitategeiko.|
|7th Dan||7 years consistent practice as 6th Dan||Koryu dai Roku||Minimum of 3 bouts of hikitategeiko.|
Under the technique section, previous syllabus (including Kyu grade techniques) will be required at the discretion of examining panel.
For the 3 bouts of hikitategeiko.
- One bout must demonstrate knowledge and application of kaeshi waza (5 atemi waza from the Randori-no-kata as counter techniques by tanto against toshu) in tanto hikitategeiko.
- One bout must demonstrate the use of combination techniques by toshu against tanto.
- The third bout must demonstrate a knowledge and application of the 17 Randori-no-kata in combination and as counter technique in the performance of toshu hikitategeiko.
BAA Dan gradings are held at the 6 approved National courses. Only Dan gradings achieved under the BAA syllabus at these venues will now be automatically approved by the BAA.
The BAA National Courses and Dan Gradings locations and venues are as follows:
- BAA Spring School North – March – Sheffield
- BAA Spring School Ireland – April – Belfast/Dublin
- BAA Spring School West – May – Winchester
- BAA Summer School North – July – Leeds
- BAA Autumn School – South of the River – September – Folkestone
- BAA Winter School South – November – Herne Bay