Bradford Tomiki Aikido Club as a member of the British Aikido Association (BAA) follows the four BAA grading syllabuses.
|Junior Syllabus||Aikidoka aged up to and including 10 years of age follow the Junior Syllabus.|
|Youth Syllabus||Aikidoka aged 10 to 15 years of age follow the Youth Syllabus.|
The BAA policy is that Aikidoka aged 17 years of age (and under) cannot grade to black belt.
|Kyu Grade Syllabus||The Kyu Grade Syllabus covers all belts up to brown belt (1st Kyu).|
|Dan Grade Syllabus||Black belt and subsequent Dan grades are part of the Dan Grade Syllabus.|
There are 7 Dan grades in the BAA syllabus.
To progress through each syllabus, the Aikidoka has to demonstrate techniques from an increasing number of Kata. For example:
- 4th Kyu(orange belt) requires 14 techniques from the Randori-no-kata to be demonstrated;
- 1st Dan requires all 17 techniques from the Randori-no-kata, all 10 techniques from the Randori-no-kata-no-ura-waza, the first 24 techniques from the Koryu dai San and the first 14 techniques from the Koryu dai Yon.
- 7th Dan requires demonstration of all the 7 kata in the BAA syllabus – approximately 300 techniques.
Additionally, each syllabus places an equal emphasis on Embu (Kata) and the demonstration of the application of the Kata techniques in the form of Kakarigeiko, Hikitategeiko and Toshu.
Due to increasing international complexity and potential confusion, the British Aikido Association (BAA) has clarified the revised grading policy that took effect from 1 August 2013. As well as the introduction of the new Youth Syllabus, BAA Dan gradings will now be held at the 6 approved National courses. Only Dan gradings achieved under the BAA syllabus at these venues will now be automatically approved by the BAA.
The BAA National Courses and Dan Gradings locations and venues are as follows (as of Jan 2020):
- BAA Winter North : February – Leeds
- BAA Spring School Ireland : April – Belfast/Dublin
- BAA Spring School West : May – Winchester
- BAA Summer School North : July – Leeds
- BAA Autumn School South : September – Folkestone
- BAA Winter School South : November – Herne Bay
Further details can be found here : BAA Grading Syllabus.