Bradford Tomiki Aikido Club as a member of the British Aikido Association (BAA) follows the four BAA grading syllabuses.
|Junior Syllabus||Aikidoka aged up to and including 10 years of age follow the Junior Syllabus.
Aikidoka aged 10 to 16 are graded using the Youth Syllabus.
|Youth Syllabus||Aikidoka aged 10 to 16 years of age follow the Youth Syllabus.
Aikidoka aged 16 and above are graded using the Kyu Grade Syllabus.
The BAA policy is that Aikidoka aged over 16 years of age cannot grade to black belt until they have completed at least 9 months as Senior 2nd Kyu.
|Kyu Grade Syllabus||The Kyu Grade Syllabus covers all belts up to brown belt.|
|Dan Grade Syllabus||Black belt and beyond is part of the Dan Grade Syllabus.
There are 7 Dan grades in the BAA syllabus.
In order to progress through each syllabus, the Aikidoka has to demonstrate an increasing number of techniques. For example:
- 4th Kyu requires 14 techniques from the Randori-no-kata to be demonstrated;
- 1st Dan requires all 17 techniques from the Randori-no-kata, all 10 techniques from the Randori-no-kata-no-ura-waza, the first 16 techniques from the Koryu dai San and all 25 techniques from the Koryu dai Yon.
- 7th Dan requires demonstration of approximately 300 techniques from all the 7 kata in the BAA syllabus
Additionally, the syllabi place an equal emphasis on Embu (Kata) and the demonstration of the application of the Kata techniques in the form of Kakarigeiko, Hikitategeiko and Toshu.
Due to increasing international complexity and potential confusion, the British Aikido Association (BAA) has clarified the revised grading policy that took effect from 1 August 2013. As well as the introduction of the new Youth Syllabus, BAA Dan gradings will now be held at the 6 approved National courses. Only Dan gradings achieved under the BAA syllabus at these venues will now be automatically approved by the BAA.
The BAA National Courses and Dan Gradings locations and venues are as follows:
- BAA Spring School North – March – Sheffield
- BAA Spring School Ireland – April – Belfast/Dublin
- BAA Spring School West – May – Winchester
- BAA Summer School North – July – Leeds
- BAA Autumn School – South of the River – September – Folkestone
- BAA Winter School South – November – Herne Bay
You can view this announcement at the BAA website.